Those attending: Cathy Chandler, Miranda Clemson, Barb Curran, Ginny Reed, Arlene Guest, Calista Diane, Liz Wilson, Beth Barrett
The first topic of discussion was legal standing/structure of the organization. While a close tie to the town is one possibility, we decided to further explore creation of a 501(c)(3) – non-profit organization. Liz will build on the work Cathy McGrath has done and will gather more info on this. This will be done prior to a presentation to the Select Board so as to provide them with the most complete information about who we are.
The main topic of discussion was winter workshops/meetings. A number of ideas were discussed:
- Composting – Arlene will explore for the November meeting.
- Wreath making in December. Barb Curran will investigate.
- Sue Matless, gardener at Lake Morey Inn – Ginny will contact about speaking to us in January.
- Invasive species – Thetford has done a good job of mapping. Understanding what they’ve done and planning something similar for Fairlee could take place at a February meeting. Li Shen is on the Thetford Conservation Commission and has been active in this. Miranda knows Li and will make contact about a presentation early in spring season.
- Folks knowledgeable about gardens – Charlie Nardozzi, Henry Homeyer, John Chapin.
- Perennial swap on the Green in April.
- Frosty breeds daylilies. This could be a topic of interest.
- In other business, Miranda will exploring interviewing Alice Adams about the Railroad Station garden.